Products Maintenance / Care and Cleaning
All Innovative Window Fashions products are made for a lifetime of wear-resistant, trouble-free performance. See the Care and Cleaning information on the following paragraphs for additional care and maintenance recommendations for most IWF products.
Recommended Cleaning Methods
Dusting: Regular light dusting maintains a like-new appearance for most blinds, shades, sheers, shutters and fabric panels.
Vacuuming: For deeper cleaning, vacuum gently with a hand vacuum cleaner. Most products may be vacuumed using a vertical stroke; however, do not use a brush attachment with Privacy Sheers, Solar Shades and Silhouettes shades.
Compressed air: or hair dryer COOL SETTING ONLY Using a low pressure setting, you can blow dust off all window coverings.
Spot-cleaning: Spot-clean shades and blinds with a soft cloth or sponge moistened with lukewarm water. Add mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging to the fabric. Rubbing can damage fabrics. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
Certain honeycomb: and rollers fabrics should not be spot- cleaned. Use cool, distilled water when spot cleaning silhouette window shadings, Solar Shades and or Sheer verticals.
Aluminum /2” blinds: Use an over-the-counter blinds cleaner with a soft cloth.
Vinyl and aluminum vertical blinds: Reduce build-up of static electricity by applying a very thin film of detergent on all vanes.
Bathtub cleaning: Water immersion for Aluminum Blinds only. This method is used for aluminum blinds
Important! Honeycomb, Solar Shades, Silhouettes Shades, fabric-covered head-rails, fabric-covered valances or fabric-covered returns, should not be immersed in water.
Important: DO NOT USE IRON OR STEAMER FOR SILHOUETTES /VIENNAS/ SHEER VERTICAL, SOLAR SHADES, ROLLER SHADES AND SUN SCREEN SHADES AND FABRIC VERTICALS.
Steaming: Steaming can be done to remove wrinkles from some fabrics for your drapery only. A hand-held travel size steamer that provides continuous steam is best.
Care and Cleaning helpful hints
ALTERNATIVE Wood or Vinyl Products: Shutters
- To reduce static cling and help repel dust, wipe the product with dryer sheets.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners or chemical solvents, as they will scratch or damage the surface.
- Allow blinds to air dry to preserve the dust repellent properties of the slats.
- For shutters, use mild soap and water. Do not use ammonia-based products.
Wood or Hybrid Products
- Clean using a dry, soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mitt. A vacuum with a soft brush attachment can also be used.
- Ultrasonic cleaning or use of chemical solvents and scrubbing cleansers are not recommended. They will damage the products.
- Protect all fine wood products from exposure to steam, high moisture areas, rain or sprinkler systems to ensure their long life.
- When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering cleaner.
Cloth Tapes on 2” blinds
- Spot-cleaning with fabric cleaning wipes found at your grocery store is recommended for all tapes. These will typically not leave a stain or discolor the tapes. We suggest a cleaning test on the underneath side of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail where any stain would be the least visible.
- 100% polyester tapes can be spot-cleaned with cool distilled water using a clean white cloth. Support the tape from behind using another clean cloth that is dry. Use a gentle blotting action to clean the spot or soiled area. Rinse by blotting with clean distilled water. Let air dry. A gentle detergent can also be used on the 100% polyester trims. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
- If the tape is shiny or has a luster, DO NOT USE WATER. The tape is most likely rayon or acetate. The result will be a water stain. Wipes are the best for all fiber contents.
Fabric Shades, Shadings or Window Panels
- Do not use magnetic cleaners such as a dusting mitt on light-dimming fabrics. This will damage the light-dimming backing.
- When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the fabrics by splattering cleaner.
- While some fabric window covering products may seem perfect for an outdoor setting, all are recommended for indoor use only.
Should you need further assistance, please contact us and we will be happy to provide further assistance.